The Melbourne Materials Institute (MMI) is an interdisciplinary institute that brings together a broad range of experts to respond to major societal challenges relevant to materials. The MMI facilitates and promotes collaborative research activity in materials science.
The MMI is one of five inaugural interdisciplinary Melbourne Research Institutes (MRIs) established by the University of Melbourne in 2009 to capitalise on the distributed strengths of the University’s research activities. In 2012, the Melbourne Social Equity Institute was created, broadening the scope of the MRIs.The overarching objectives of the Institutes are to build expertise, profile, and linkages in the relevant research area.
In line with this, the MMI aims to:
- be a portal for materials science at the University
- showcase materials research at the University
- foster interdisciplinary discussion and collaborations with a materials focus
- create internal and external linkages
- capture materials innovations in the medium term for the benefit of the broader community.
For more detailed information about the activities we run and the support we provide see What we do.